- Global HR Compliance
- Global PEO and Payroll
- Work permit for hiring expats via PEO
- Expand without a company set up
- Contractor vs. employee: which is better?
Global Employer of Record in Jamaica
Global employment services
Businesses in the process of expanding globally often face challenges when it comes to compliantly onboarding employees in foreign countries. In most cases, legal compliance requires the establishment of a legal in-country business entity, a complex, costly and time-consuming process that many employers are not ready to undertake.
To help your organization legally onboard and payroll a workforce in Jamaica, Acumen International offers a global employment solution via our Global Employer of Record (EOR) designed to help you circumvent the legalities of direct hiring, eliminating the need for you to establish a legal entity in Jamaica in order to conduct business there.
Spotlight on Jamaica:
Jamaica is the third-largest island in the Caribbean. Discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1494 Jamaica was settled by the Spanish early in the 16th century, and was thereafter subjected to over 300 years of British rule until it gained full independence in 1962. Although small in size, Jamaica boasts a rich and unique culture, and many Jamaicans (e.g. Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff, Marcus Garvey, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce, and Usain Bolt) have made an indelible impact in the fields of music, politics, religion, and sports worldwide.
- Capital: Kingston.
- Population: 2.816.602 (July 2021).
- Official language: English.
- Local currency: Jamaican dollar (JMD).
- Labor Force: 1.113 million (2020).
- Industries: The Jamaican economy is heavily dependent on services. The principal drivers of the Jamaican economy are tourism, manufacturing, agribusiness, energy, business process outsourcing, and bauxite/alumina.
- Import/Export partners: The top import partners are the United States, Netherlands, Germany, Canada, and Iceland. Jamaica imports bauxite, refined petroleum, aluminum, rum, fruits, nuts. The key countries for export are the United States and China/ Export commodities include refined petroleum, cars, crude petroleum, natural gas, and packaged medicines.
- Salary currency: Employment contract shall state the salary in the currency of Jamaica (Jamaican dollar).
- Minimum wage: In June 2018, the Government, on the advice of the National Minimum Wage Commission, announced a 12,9 percent increase in the national minimum wage from $6.200 to $7.000 per week. In addition, security guards started receiving $9.700, up from $8.854 per week, reflecting a 9,6 percent increase. The new rates took effect August 1, 2018.
Employ your Selected Workforce in Jamaica via Acumen’s Employer of Record (EOR) Solution
As an Employer of Record services provider, Acumen International helps businesses to legally engage and pay their selected highly skilled professionals in Jamaica. Businesses desiring to hire local employees should be prepared to pay competitive salaries, to attract and retain the most qualified candidates.
As a global employment organization, Acumen International serves both end employers and service companies representing international clients.
Acumen’s Global employment services are designed to provide our clients with professional assistance to meet their global HR needs, such as:
- Global talent acquisition and retention
- Global expansion, to help you quickly enter new global markets without legal and HR compliance risks
- Local support for international clients and their expat employees
Acumen’s Employer of Record (EOR) service in Jamaica offers an efficient and inexpensive alternative to direct hiring. Our solution gives companies the opportunity to operate in Jamaica, and in 190 international markets where we serve our clients, without registering as a local business entity.
Acumen International offers a global PEO and payroll solution to take care of all the details of payroll while ensuring full compliance with in-country labor and taxation laws. To get more information about Acumen’s Global PEO and payroll service in Jamaica click here.
Legally Onboard and Payroll your Employees in Jamaica with Acumen’s Global Employment Solution
It is an offense for a person who requires but does not have a valid work permit to engage in any occupation or be employed in Jamaica. It is also an offense to employ a person who requires but does not have a valid work permit. Offenders may be liable upon conviction to a fine not exceeding $500.000 and/or imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months.
Misclassification between independent contractors and employees can lead to non-compliance with tax and labor laws, which can have serious implications. Penalties may be levied for failing to withhold and pay over payroll taxes, including failure to make matching contributions payments. Further, if Tax Administration Jamaica, TAJ, believes you have intentionally misclassified workers as a means of evading taxes, there is also the possibility of criminal and civil penalties and sanctions.
Reduce your risks while expanding your business, without establishing your own legal entity in Jamaica. Leave it to Acumen to hire and compensate your employees on your behalf, so you can focus on growing your business.
You can trust Acumen to handle the global employment and HR details of your workforce management in Jamaica, to ensure full compliance with in-country employment laws.
Acumen’s EOR global employment solution helps businesses to overcome legal challenges by hiring and compensating your local and expat workforce in Jamaica on your behalf, in a risk-free and cost-effective manner.
If you are looking to reinforce your internal team with the expertise of local talent, or if you have already selected a local candidate to work for you remotely and in full legal compliance in Jamaica, our global EOR solution is the ideal choice for you.
In addition to legally onboarding local citizens, we are able to organize work permits and business visa sponsorship for your expatriate team via our Employer of Record, and employ them on your behalf, once legal permissions have been attained.
Partner with Acumen International, and let us help you handle your global employment and HR needs. With Acumen, you can rest assured that all legal requirements are met for compliant hiring and compensating of your local and expatriate employees in Jamaica, and in 190 countries worldwide where we serve our international clients.