- Overview: Belize
- Global HR Compliance
- Global PEO and payroll
- Work permit for hiring expats via PEO
- Contractor vs. employee: which is better?
Immigration support for hiring expats in Belize via a PEO
If your business objectives are related to hiring expatriate personnel in Belize, there are some things you need to consider, from the peculiarities of immigration procedure in Belize to documents required to get a work permit, and local payroll for foreign citizens.
If your company is hiring or planning to hire expats in Belize, an in-country PEO employment post immigration might be a viable alternative to incorporation. A global PEO company will guide you through every step of immigration procedure in Belize and render a ‘no entity hiring’ after visa or permit receipt.
For many years Acumen International has been hiring and payrolling our clients’ expatriates for both short- and long-term projects. If you need to legally hire and pay the expatriates in Belize, we can help you. Regardless of your business objectives and timelines, Acumen International can arrange immigration and work permit support for hiring your expats in full legal compliance with local labor legislation after the permit has been issued.
Acumen’s ‘work permit and hiring expats through a Global PEO’ solution is designed for:
- employer companies like yourself that want to relocate their selected expats to Belize
- individuals that have an employer that is ready to finance their immigration and foreign employment in the Belize
- the service is mainly used by companies hiring highly skilled personnel to fill some top positions in Belize
Note: Having a single provider that would sponsor a work permit or visa on your behalf and then employs expats in Belize, minimizes risks of visa rejection. In addition, it takes the hassle associated with immigration procedure off your head.
Unlike other global Professional Employer Organizations, Acumen International can provide extra benefits in addition to work permit support in Belize. This includes medical insurance, housing, office rent, mobile phone and car provision to meet-and-greet, dependents relocation, etc.
Attention: we are not an immigration service! We do not provide a work permit and immigration support as a standalone solution to individuals willing to find jobs overseas.
Estimated time for work permit issuance
Typically, the procedure of work permit issuance in Belize takes 2 – 3 months before response from the Labor Department.
Major steps to get a work permit in Belize
- The Local Company and relevant Licenses should be obtained and attached to the Business Plan before submitting the application to be vetted by BELTRAIDE
- Applicants will be required to attend an interview with the Labour Department after Local Company approval has been received from BELTRAIDE along with supporting documents
- While you are waiting for a response from the Labor Department, you will be required to extend your passport stamp with the Immigration Department for a separate fee.
- When the application is approved a fee of BZ $2,000.00 (US $1,000.00) is to be paid to the Government at the Immigration Department in Cash.
- Once application is approved, the business will be registered at the Income Tax Department and obtain its Business Identification Number
- Applicants will be required to apply for their Social Security Card/Valid for Employment in the district the business will be operating. The card is only valid for one year.
Documents for work permit in Belize, main applicant
|Type of documents|
|The application form, which can be obtained from any number of office supply type stores Photocopies of all pages of your passport|
|3 passport-size ID pictures|
|A receipt from the Treasury Department indicating that you have paid the BZD25 administrative fee BZD20.00 in postage stamps|
|A copy of your Belize Police Record|
|Three clippings from local papers showing that your employer attempted to offer the position to Belizeans|
|A bank statement from your employer|
|A letter of recommendation from your employer|
If you need to have your expat personnel legally work for you in Belize without having to set up your own business entity for that, trust us to assist you with work permit and immigration support, and then employ your expats locally on your behalf.
Contact our team to let us take up your foreign employees’ immigration matters and relieve you of the responsibility of getting work permit by working with our local partners to organize and obtain all the necessary permits, as well as provide you with a detailed update on the progress of the process.
Contact us for more details about how you can get a work permit for your expatriate staff and employ them through Acumen International in Belize.