- Overview: Portugal
- Global HR Compliance
- Global PEO and payroll
- Work permit for hiring expats via PEO
- Expand without a company set up
- Contractor vs. employee: which is better?
Immigration support for hiring expats in Portugal via a PEO
If your business objectives are related to hiring expatriate personnel in Portugal, there are some things you need to consider, from the peculiarities of immigration procedure in Portugal to documents required to get a work permit, and local payroll for foreign citizens.
If your company is hiring or planning to hire expats in Portugal, an in-country PEO employment post immigration might be a viable alternative to incorporation. A global PEO company will guide you through every step of immigration procedure in Portugal and render a ‘no entity hiring’ after visa or permit receipt.
For many years Acumen International has been hiring and payrolling our clients’ expatriates for both short- and long-term projects. If you need to legally hire and pay the expatriates in Portugal, we can help you. Regardless of your business objectives and timelines, Acumen International can arrange immigration and work permit support for hiring your expats in full legal compliance with local labor legislation after the permit has been issued.
Acumen’s ‘work permit and hiring expats through a Global PEO’ solution is designed for:
- employer companies like yourself that want to relocate their selected expats to Portugal
- individuals that have an employer that is ready to finance their immigration and foreign employment in the Portugal
- the service is mainly used by companies hiring highly skilled personnel to fill some top positions in Portugal
Note: Having a single provider that would sponsor a work permit or visa on your behalf and then employs expats in Portugal, minimizes risks of visa rejection. In addition, it takes the hassle associated with immigration procedure off your head.
Unlike other global Professional Employer Organizations, Acumen International can provide extra benefits in addition to work permit support in Portugal. This includes medical insurance, housing, office rent, mobile phone and car provision to meet-and-greet, dependents relocation, etc.
Attention: we are not an immigration service! We do not provide a work permit and immigration support as a standalone solution to individuals willing to find jobs overseas.
Estimated time for work permit issuance
Typically, the procedure of work permit issuance in Portugal takes 2 months.
Major steps to get a work permit in Portugal
- An application (with the documents below) is submitted by the employee or by the employer on behalf of the employee at the regional directorate or the Delegation of the Portuguese Immigration and Borders Service (Serviço de Estrangeiros e Fronteiras, “SEF”).
- The employee is provided the residency permit which allows him/her to work under the foreign employer in Portugal legally.
Documents for work permit in Portugal, main applicant
|Type of documents|
|Completed application form|
|Two recent, identical photographs|
|Passport or other valid travel document|
|Valid residence visa|
|Evidence of the funds to support yourself|
|Proof of proposed accommodation|
|Permission for checking criminal records|
|Valid labour contract|
|Proof of your current tax situation|
|Document proving Social Security registration|
If you need to have your expat personnel legally work for you in Portugal without having to set up your own business entity for that, trust us to assist you with work permit and immigration support, and then employ your expats locally on your behalf.
Contact our team to let us take up your foreign employees’ immigration matters and relieve you of the responsibility of getting work permit by working with our local partners to organize and obtain all the necessary permits, as well as provide you with a detailed update on the progress of the process.
Contact us for more details about how you can get a work permit for your expatriate staff and employ them through Acumen International in Portugal.