- Overview: Serbia
- Global HR Compliance
- Global PEO and Payroll
- Work permit for hiring expats via PEO
- Expand without a company set up
- Contractor vs. Employee: Which Is Better?
Global PEO and Payroll in Serbia
Global Expansion & Employment Journey: Key Considerations
Businesses are no longer confined to their home countries in a globalized economy. They can operate in multiple markets around the world, providing goods and services on a global scale. As globalization has become necessary for most companies, they are reconsidering how to utilize their talent base best. Rather than building large physical offices in every country they expand into, companies are looking to hire more foreign workers.
Although globalization is often thought of as something that only affects businesses, it should be implemented in every company function to stay competitive. This includes human resources, information technology, finance, products or services delivery, legal, and compliance. This shift provides a unique opportunity for businesses to increase their competitive edge and leverage innovative third-party talent deployments models such as global EOR (Employer of Record) and global PEO (Professional Employer Organization).
10 Steps to Help You Navigate through Global Expansion Journey
- Determine Your Global Expansion Strategy
- Build a Global Expansion Team.
- Choose the most business-friendly and cost-effective countries.
- Determine the most effective mode of entry, keeping the ease of exit in mind.
- Determine the right global talent engagement model.
- Develop a robust global talent acquisition strategy. Find an experienced and reliable partner.
- Compliantly hire local and foreign talent in multiple jurisdictions
- Create Global HR Compliance and Employment Risk Management Strategies
- Maintain reliable talent management systems. Adhere to local labor laws and HR compliance regulations.
- Global Talent Retention Programs.
What is a Global PEO?
A global PEO, or global Professional Employer Organization, is a company that specializes in handling human resources for other businesses. PEOs can provide a wide range of services, such as payroll processing, benefits administration, tax reporting, workers' compensation insurance, unemployment insurance claims management, employee screening, legal and regulatory compliance assistance, HR consulting, immigration services, and other financial services.
Businesses that partner with a global PEO can outsource many of their HR needs and focus on running their core operations. With a robust global PEO, you can make global employment decisions quickly and confidently – without getting buried in immigration or labor compliance work. You can quickly and easily employ your pre-selected world-class talent from any country.
Perhaps more importantly, with our Global PEO services, we minimize your permanent establishment, employee immigration, or misclassification risk – leaving you free to focus on running your business. With a Global PEO, you don't need to worry about the cost of maintaining a workforce, recruitment, securing visas or work permits for foreign hires, issuing documents, managing payroll and employee benefits, collecting payroll tax, and paying personal and corporate taxes.
Entering into a partnership with a global PEO who is committed to helping provide excellent employment opportunities. This partnership will enable you to dramatically expand your services and reach in any part of the world.
17 Burdens a Global PEO Can Relieve for Your In-House HR Department in Serbia
- Global expansion complexity
- Global payroll administration
- Employee benefits administration
- Drafting compliant employment contracts to adhere to local labor and tax regulations in 190 countries
- Lengthy onboarding
- Complex and risky offboarding
- Background checks
- Workforce compensation administration
- Compliance assistance
- Guidance on best practices of voluntary benefits provisioning
- Immigration and relocation support for your ex-pat workforce, such as visa sponsorship and securing work permits
- Lack of institutional knowledge
- IP right protection
- Legal support
- Convert local contractors into full-time employees
- Business transitions: acquisitions, mergers, close-downs
- Need to deal with multiple global employment service providers.
A Global PEO Can Help You Replace Multiple Employment Service Providers in Serbia
If you're looking to streamline your company's operations and get a handle on global workforce management, partnering with a professional employer organization (PEO) can be a great solution. PEOs can provide a full suite of services to help you replace the following numerous vendors.
- Payroll Company
- Employee Benefit Broker
- HR Consultants
- Background Checks Vendors
- IP Attorney
- Tax Advisor
- Translation service
- Legal Advisor
- Immigration Advisor
- HR compliance advisor.
7 Benefits of Partnering with a Global PEO in Serbia
- A global PEO handles payroll and benefits administration for your employees in Serbia and other target countries. It also takes care of tax withholding and filing, workers' compensation insurance, unemployment insurance administration, regulatory compliance, employee handbooks, HR compliance, training and development programs, employee relations issues management, and more.
- In addition to managing legal requirements, a PEO can help you minimize your tax liability and simplify payroll administration processes. Using a PEO as your single contact for managing payroll and benefits coverage makes things easier because it reduces internal costs—you can focus on doing what you do best. At the same time, the global PEO gets every employee's need taken care of.
- PEOs can provide a range of benefits to employees that other companies may not be able to offer. A PEO will also help with keeping track of your employee's benefits and insurance across multiple jurisdictions, as well as making sure they stay up-to-date while they're working for you. You might be surprised at how much time it takes to manage health insurance or pension plans, but PEOs deal with this daily. They make it their business to know the most up-to-date employee benefits.
- Reduced liability. Often, employers are unaware of many compliance regulations, potential liability issues regarding their employee’s insurance and benefits until it is too late. Working with a Global PEO (Professional Employment Organization) can remove HR management's heavy burden, distractions, risks, and challenges in Serbia. A global PEO can handle these matters instead of handling them on your behalf across foreign jurisdictions. A global PEO partner will handle tasks like payroll and benefits while relieving you of any liability or responsibility. It's one of the best ways to ensure that your global business stays on track without sacrificing quality or consistency.
- With a global PEO partner, you can test the waters before making a permanent commitment. Before you decide to invest in offices, equipment, and employee training at an overseas location, you'll get valuable information about whether the location will be successful by seeing how well operations are received via a third party before committing to managing them yourself.
- A global PEO helps simplify the process of entering countries by assisting with the compliant employment of your foreign and local workforce. Suppose you hire people abroad, and they start working for you without guidance. In that case, there is a risk that their expectations might not match up with reality — setting yourself up for an unpleasant surprise when they realize their salary or work conditions aren't what they had been promised. Partnering with a global PEO can be especially helpful when working in countries with complex labor laws and regulations. Instead of directly dealing with foreign employment laws, you simply work with a single entity that knows best practices for local labor rules.
- When you first move your business overseas, you might realize that you're about to get a lot more responsibility than you bargained for. Setting up a foreign legal entity is a costly and time-consuming process, not to mention it's something that requires legal expertise and knowledge of local labor laws. With the help of an international PEO (Professional Employment Organization), you can skip the hassle of setting up a foreign legal entity or figuring out local labor laws in Serbia.
Global Payroll Management & Compliance Considerations
Different countries have employment laws and tax regulations, which can make it difficult to keep track of everything and ensure payroll compliance. In some cases, employees may need to be registered and taxed differently in each country, and there may be other legal requirements that need to be met. This can create challenges for businesses who operate in multiple countries.
When it comes to payroll management in Serbia, there are many different regulations that you must follow to avoid penalties or litigation. Each country has its laws and regulations, but some standards apply internationally. You must know and adhere to tax deadlines, withholding and reporting laws in Serbia, and regulations requiring employee tax slip signatures. If you fail to adhere to these payroll compliance rules, you could face severe penalties that could negatively impact your business.
Global payroll management is a complex process that requires careful consideration of various factors. Payroll specialists must consider local regulations and taxation requirements, which can be time-consuming and difficult to navigate. However, by addressing some key challenges and partnering with a Global PEO, organizations can ensure compliant payroll in Serbia, and accurate, and timely payments.
|Employment risks mitigation||50%||50%|
|Tax compliance & payroll processing|
|Coverage||client's home country only||client's home country only|
|Employment risks mitigation|
|Tax compliance & payroll processing|
|Incorporation costs||own foreign entity required|
|Our Global PEO&Payroll||Client|
|Employment risks mitigation|
|Tax compliance & payroll processing|
|Incorporation costs||no need for own entities|
|Coverage||190 countries||190 countries|
Global Payroll Calculator: Accurate Global Employment Cost Estimation
When hiring employees and contractors across the globe, you may not be choosing the most cost-effective and business-friendly country.
- Do you know which country is the most cost-effective place to hire employees?
- What are the costs of entity establishment and legal representation?
- What are the payroll costs and management fees?
- What are your ongoing annual tax compliance costs?
- Are you fully aware of banking implications?
- Did you know that labor laws and hidden costs could make your company less efficient when choosing a country to run your business?
- Did you know that there could be a more cost-effective country to hire employees in and save up to 50%?
This is because countries have different labor laws, compliance, and tax regulations. What if, instead of limiting your company’s international expansion into Serbia by cutting through the jungle of local regulatory compliance, tax, labor, and immigration requirements, you could have all the information of 190 countries at your fingertips?
Acumen International offers the Global Payroll Calculator to help businesses understand the compliance requirements for conducting business in a new country.
Acumen’s research team tracks developments in 190 countries around the globe. It provides up-to-date data on local regulations related to tax, payroll regulations, benefits, hiring practices, compliance requirements, and other labor-related factors that impact an employer’s bottom line. This valuable information makes the Global Payroll Calculator an invaluable tool for businesses looking to expand internationally.
Global Payroll Calculator helps companies reduce labor costs by providing up-to-date information on hiring, compensation, and tax requirements. It is also an ideal tool for quickly locating employees in any country.
Acumen International - Your Professional Employer Organization in Serbia
Navigating the Serbian legal system and adhering to regulations governing employment and taxation can be challenging for businesses, especially if you are not a native Serbian speaker. Partnering with Acumen International as a global Professional Employer Organization (PEO) provides you with the local knowledge and support you need to conduct business in Serbia without concern for legal and compliance risks.
Whether you represent international client companies or are taking your business operations abroad, Acumen International’s Global PEO and payroll service allow you to hire and payroll local and ex-pat employees in Serbia. With Acumen in your corner, you can quickly and efficiently onboard and compensate your employees without the risk of legal repercussions.
International Payroll and Taxation in Serbia
Employment Taxes in Serbia
Personal Income Tax (PIT)
Residents are taxable on their worldwide income, whereas nonresidents are taxable on their Serbian-sourced income and worldwide income related to their work in/for the Republic of Serbia. Tax rates are flat, and the definition of the taxable base depends on the type of income. The annual tax is the additional tax in Serbia. Suppose the individual is a Serbian tax resident. In that case, one is subject to Serbian annual tax on one's net worldwide income exceeding a prescribed threshold. In contrast, Serbian tax non-residents are liable to report their Serbian-sourced annual net income. The progressive rates apply depending on the income level.
Non-taxable amounts in Serbian currency (RSD) for personal income tax are being adjusted for the annual consumer price index in the year preceding the year for which the alignment is done, based on data of the authority responsible for statistics.
Social Security Contributions
Social security contributions are calculated and withheld by the employer from the salary paid to an employee, up to a specified cap. The employer also pays these contributions on top of the employee's gross salary. The amount borne by the employer is treated as an operating cost, while the portion payable by the employee is taken from gross salary.
Payroll Cycle in Serbia
Payroll - Frequency Monthly.
Non-payroll Taxes in Serbia
The standard VAT rate is flat for most taxable supplies. A reduced VAT rate applies to basic foodstuffs, daily newspapers, medicines, publications, public transportation services, utilities, etc. In addition to these tax rates, there is a 0% tax rate with the right of deduction of the input VAT that applies to the export of goods, transport, and other services directly related to exports, international air transport, etc.
A 0% tax rate without the right of deduction of the input VAT applies to trade in shares and other securities, insurance and reinsurance, and the lease of apartments, business premises, etc.
A non-resident that carries out a taxable supply of goods and services in Serbia is obligated to appoint a fiscal representative and to register for VAT in Serbia, irrespective of the amount of the turnover realized in the previous 12 months.
Ready to get started? Request a quote!
How Acumen’s International PEO and Payroll Service can Benefit Your Business in Serbia
Compensating your local and ex-pat workforce in Serbia and closely adhering to Serbian taxation requirements can divert your attention and resources from activities that help your business grow. A reliable global employment solution like Acumen’s Global PEO and Payroll service can take a substantial burden off your shoulders so you can focus on running your company.
Outsourcing the HR, administrative, and compliance functions involved in employee payroll is one approach, but we have a better comprehensive solution. Acumen International offers a global PEO and payroll solution that goes beyond outsourcing. We hire and compensate your global workforce on your behalf and take care of all the payroll details while ensuring full compliance with Serbian labor and taxation laws.
It is important to note that Acumen does not provide international global payroll services as a standalone solution but only as a part of our global PEO and Payroll solution. Our comprehensive global PEO and payroll services are just some benefits of partnering with Acumen International. We make it easy for you to achieve your business goals in Serbia by officially employing and compensating your best selected global talent - locals and ex-pats - without concerns for legal and compliance risks faced by global employers.
Disclaimer: Any of the above information is subject to changes imposed by Serbian laws. To get the latest updates on taxation in Serbia and in 190 countries worldwide, contact Acumen’s team of global employment experts.