- Overview: United Kingdom (UK)
- Global HR Compliance
- Global PEO and Payroll
- UK Work Visas, Work Permits, Immigration
- Contractor vs Employee: Which Is Better?
- Expand into the UK without a Company Set Up
UK Immigration Support. Benefits of UK PEO and EOR Services for Global Employers
Acumen International offers risk-free, cost-effective, tailored, flexible, and scalable global employment solutions.
- Financial, legal, and compliance risks mitigation worldwide
- Simplicity in payroll and benefits administration across multiple geographies
- Compliance with local labour regulations in any jurisdiction
- Real-time adjustment to changes in global employment tax rates, employment laws, and other regulations.
Streamline Your Global Journey with UK PEO and EOR Services
When hiring or relocating employees to the UK, having a partner that understands the visa process is crucial. You should think about a PEO or EOR service provider first. A trusted PEO (Professional Employment Organization) and EOR (Employer of Record) to help with the UK work visa, work permit and other employment immigration needs? At Acumen International, we have a wealth of experience in assisting global employers with their UK work permits, UK work visas, and other immigration requirements.
With our Global PEO and EOR (Employer of Record) Services, Acumen International can help your company hire overseas employees in the United Kingdom without establishing a legal entity. We can manage all human resources, benefits, payroll and tax needs for your employees, freeing up your time to focus on your business goals.
Our PEOs and EOR solutions help you navigate the complexities of employment law and tax requirements in the UK, establishing your business quickly and efficiently.
We can help reduce your costs by at least 50% and eliminate all legal and global compliance risks, ensuring a hassle-free process.
Suppose you want to control your global expansion processes without any legal entity liabilities, contractor risks, or having to sacrifice talent or speed to market. In that case, Acumen International is the perfect choice for you.
United Kingdom Work Visas
The work visa application process in the United Kingdom can be lengthy and complex. However, at Acumen International PEO & EOR, we have the expertise and experience to help relocate your employees to overseas markets as smoothly and efficiently as possible.
Acument International is committed to making the UK work visa and work permit application process as straightforward as possible. Our PEO and EOR services can take care of all the paperwork and the UK Visa application processes for you, from start to finish, without you even having to step foot in the UK.
How to Apply for the UK Work Visa
Employees seeking a UK Work Visa must apply online.
There are different ways to apply for a UK visa, depending on your circumstances.
- outside the UK and are coming to the UK
- inside the UK and extending your current visa
- inside the UK and switching from a different visa
If you want to change your job or employer, you must apply to update your visa.
- Companies sending employees to the UK often apply for a Skilled Worker visa, which covers the broadest range of job positions. Companies sending employees to work for their established UK branch apply for an Intra-company visa.
- Employees seeking visas in the UK must apply online.
UK Work Visa Eligibility Requirements
Individuals seeking a visa must be able to meet a series of requirements, including
- Working for an employer approved by UK’s immigration authorities
- Providing a certificate of sponsorship, including details about the job, from the UK employer
- Applying for a job that’s considered an eligible occupation
- Meet minimum salary requirements, depending on the job
- Proving your English language skills through a formal process
What Is a UK Work Permit?
A valid job offer from a viable employer in the UK is a requirement for a work permit. International workers must apply for a work permit before working in the UK. This permit must be sponsored by a licensed business entity based in the UK. In addition, the international worker will need to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from the UK government. Work permits are issued by UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI). They have offices throughout the UK and can be contacted by phone or email.
Visas and Work Permits in the United Kingdom for Non-UK Citizens
Until recently, citizens of European Economic Area (EEA) countries and Swiss nationals could travel freely to and from the UK and work there with minimal restrictions. All that changed in 2020, when the United Kingdom officially withdrew from the European Union and reasserted its sovereignty.
Beginning July 1, 2021, new requirements for establishing right-to-work (RTW) will be strictly enforced for EEA/Swiss employees, with the onus of proof placed squarely on the shoulders of employers. Irish citizens with a valid passport are granted the continued right to work in the UK without additional documentation.
Right to Work for EEA and Swiss Citizens
Beginning July 1, 2021, EU, EEA, and Swiss citizens will need more than just a passport or national identity card to prove their right to work in the UK. Employers will be required to check their right to work online, using a share code and the employee’s date of birth or by checking their original documents. Employees can obtain a share code from the UK government’s online immigration service.
EEA/EU/Swiss workers have the right to work in the UK in the following cases
- The worker can provide proof of settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
- They have a Frontier Worker permit
- They have a biometric residence permit or card
- They have applied under the EU Settlement Scheme
- They have been granted indefinite permission to enter or remain in the UK
- They have a visa to work or study in the UK
Right to Work for Employees from Other Countries
To qualify for the right to work in the UK, non-EEA employees must be invited by an employer who is a licensed sponsor and must provide an Immigration Employment Document (IED) confirming their right to work in the UK. Examples of IEDs include UK work permits and specific types of visas. The most common type of visa for ex-pat employees is a Skilled Worker visa.
To qualify for a UK Skilled Worker Visa, Employees Must
- Work for an approved UK employer.
- Provide a certificate of sponsorship from the employer describing the role the worker will play within the company
- Perform a job that is listed among eligible occupations
- Earn a minimum salary based on the type of work position
- Be able to speak, read and write English
A Skilled Worker visa is good for up to five years, after which it can be extended an indefinite number of times.
Documents required for the UK Skilled Worker Visa Application
- Certificate of a sponsorship reference number
- Proof of English language proficiency
- Valid passport
- Job title, occupation code, and annual salary
- Employer name and sponsor license number
UK Work Visa Timeline Considerations
When applying for the UK work visa, it is important to be aware of the following timeline considerations: Keep the following in mind as you begin the application process. Once you’ve submitted your application online, the waiting time starts when you either:
- attend your appointment and provide your fingerprints and a photograph (biometric information) at a visa application centre
- verify your identity using the UK Immigration: ID Check app. This will depend on the visa you apply for and you’ll be advised if you can use this.
The waiting time will end when you get an email containing the decision on your application. This will explain what you need to do next.
UK Visa Sponsorship for Employers
You must assign a certificate of sponsorship to each foreign worker you employ. This is an electronic record, not a physical document. Each certificate has its own number, which a worker can use to apply for a visa.
When you assign the certificate to a worker, they must use it to apply for their visa within three months. They must not apply for their visa more than three months before the start date of the job listed on the certificate.
You may need to check if your worker needs an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before you assign a certificate of sponsorship.
Work Sponsor Certificate Costs
You’ll need to pay a fee when assigning a certificate to a worker. How much a certificate will cost depends on the type of sponsor licence you have.
|Type of licence||Cost per certificate|
|Worker (except workers on the International Sportsperson visa)||£199|
|International Sportsperson – where the certificate of sponsorship is assigned for more than 12 months||£199|
|International Sportsperson – where the certificate of sponsorship is assigned for 12 months or less||£21|
If you assign a certificate of sponsorship to a worker on a Skilled Worker or Senior or Specialist Worker visa, you might also need to pay the immigration skills charge.
Benefits of Global PEO and EOR Immigration Services in the UK
Partnering with Acumen International as your single provider to sponsor ex-pat worker permits and visas for your international employees and subsequently employ them in the country on your behalf can simplify and accelerate the application process and reduce the risk of visa rejection!
By partnering with us, you will benefit from:
- Eliminating the need to manage multiple visa applications.
- Reducing the risk of visa rejection by dealing with one single provider.
- Minimising costs by paying only for what you need. Access a global team of experts familiar with local employment laws, regulations and processes.
UK Work Visas, Permits, and Immigration: Other Important Considerations
Skills shortage in the United Kingdom
There are currently several shortage occupations, including
- IT – cyber security analysts, digital and SEO marketers, software developers and systems engineers
- Business services – analysts, market researchers, HR officers
- Construction – surveyors, planners and project managers
- Education – Primary and secondary school teachers (particularly maths teachers)
- Engineering – electrical, mechanical and chemical engineers, civil engineers and product and process engineers
- Healthcare – nurses, medical radiographers and paediatricians
- Hospitality – baristas, chefs
- Social care – counsellors, social workers.
How to Choose the Most Cost-effective Country for Your Global Hiring?
When expanding your business globally, choosing a country that will provide the best opportunity for success is essential. To do this, you need to thoroughly consider factors such as customer demographics, level of competition, and legal and tax implications. Only then can you compare different countries and make an informed decision about where to expand your business.
When hiring employees and contractors across the globe, you may not be choosing the most cost-effective country.
- Do you know which country is the most cost-effective place to hire employees?
- Did you know that labour laws and hidden costs could make your company less efficient when choosing a country to run your business?
- Did you know that there could be a more cost-effective country to hire employees in and save up to 50%? This is because different countries have different labour laws and benefits.
What if, instead of limiting your company’s international expansion by cutting through the jungle of local regulatory compliance, tax, labour, and immigration requirements, you could have all the information of 190 countries at your fingertips?
The Global Payroll Calculator: How to Find the True Costs of Employing Staff in the UK and Other Countries
The Global Payroll Calculator by Acumen International is the ideal international employment cost prediction tool to help you estimate the costs of employing staff in other countries, including employer and employee taxes. It allows you to stay on budget and avoid surprises when expanding Internationally.
Global Payroll Calculator will provide an accurate estimate of your international payroll costs within seconds. You can also calculate your global payroll costs for multiple locations with one click! You’ll know exactly how much it will cost you to hire a new employee or transfer your existing employees overseas.
- Employers’ legal guide to post-Brexit immigration
- The Ultimate Guide to Employment Solutions: EOR, PEO, and GEO
Acumen International is not an immigration service. We do not work directly with individuals who want to work overseas. We serve businesses that need to send their ex-pats abroad. We do not provide any immigration support in the UK, apart from that offered by Acumen Global PEO Solution for Employing Your Expat Workers in the UK, Post-Immigration.